Dental implants are a long-lasting solution to replacing missing teeth, and have gained a lot of attention recently due to advancing restorative dentistry techniques. If you are missing a tooth, or suspect that a tooth needs to be extracted, and wonder how you will keep your smile whole and beautiful, you could be a candidate for dental implants. Unlike other restorative dentistry procedures, however, dental implants are not for everyone. Here at La Jolla Dental Image, we can help you discover if implant dentistry is right for you.
Initial Checkup with a Dental Implants Specialist
To determine if you are an ideal candidate for dental implants, your first visit with a dentist in La Jolla should be a consultation with a city dental implants specialist. In this visit, the dentist should check for the following things:
- Are your gums and teeth overall healthy?
- Do you have plenty of surrounding bone density to support the implant being anchored?
- Do you have a history of commitment to your oral hygiene?
- Are you a smoker, and if so, are you willing to quit while the implant heals? The healing time can take as much as 12 months, total.
- Have you ever had treatments including bisphosphonate medications (typically cancer treatments)? If so, you are not a candidate for dental implants.
- Do you have any autoimmune disorders or diabetes that could interrupt the healing process?
All of these questions will help a dentist decide if you are a good candidate for implant dentistry. The most important point of all is to ensure that there is sufficient bone structure around the missing tooth, because this is what the implant is anchored to when it is placed. If there is not sufficient support from the jaw, the implant will likely fail during chewing.
Learn More with Your Dental Implants Specialist in La Jolla
If you are interested in learning more about dental implants and how they work, please contact us at 858-202-0481. At La Jolla Dental Image, we are always ready to help you get your smile looking great, and improve your health, through restorative dentistry procedures such as dental implants. You can also contact us via our online contact form, and a member of our staff will get back to you as soon as possible.